Goods and Services Tax (GST) is an indirect tax system introduced in India on 1st July 2017. It has replaced the old system of multiple indirect taxes such as VAT, service tax, excise duty, etc. GST is a destination-based tax system that is levied on the supply of goods and services.
If you are a business owner in India, you must obtain a GST registration number to comply with the GST regulations. In this article, we will guide you through the step-by-step process of obtaining a GST number and the required documents for the same.
Step-by-Step Process to Obtain a GST Number in India
1. Determine your eligibility for GST registration:
Before applying for a GST number, you must determine if you are eligible for GST registration. As per the GST Act, the following persons are required to register for GST:
- Any person whose turnover exceeds Rs. 20 lahks (Rs. 10 lahks for North-Eastern states)
- A casual taxable person or non-resident taxable person
- E-commerce operators
- Persons who are required to pay tax under the reverse charge mechanism
- Input service distributor
- Persons supplying goods or services through an electronic commerce operator
- Every person supplying online information and database access or retrieval services from a place outside India to a person in India, other than a registered person
2. Gather the required documents:
Once you have determined your eligibility for GST registration, you need to gather the following documents:
- PAN Card of the business entity
- Aadhaar Card of the authorized signatory
- Proof of business registration such as Incorporation Certificate, Partnership Deed, etc.
- Bank account details
- Digital signature of the authorized signatory
- Address proof of the business premises such as electricity bill, rent agreement, etc.
3. GST registration process:
After gathering the required documents, you can apply for GST registration through the GST portal. Follow the steps below:
- Visit the GST portal at https://www.gst.gov.in
- Click on the ‘Services’ tab and select ‘Registration’ from the drop-down menu
- Select ‘New Registration’
- Fill in the required details such as your PAN, email, and mobile number and click on ‘Proceed’
- Enter the OTP received on your mobile and email and click on ‘Proceed’
- Enter the Temporary Reference Number (TRN) received on your mobile and click on ‘Proceed’
- Fill in the required details such as the business name, address, and bank account details
- Upload the required documents
- Submit the application using a digital signature
- You will receive an Application Reference Number (ARN) on your registered mobile and email
4. Verification of GST registration application:
Once you have submitted your GST registration application, it will be verified by a GST officer. The officer may ask for additional documents or information if required. The verification process can take up to 7 working days.
5. Issuance of GST registration certificate:
If your application is approved, you will receive a GST registration certificate on your registered email. The certificate will contain your GST registration number, business details, and effective date of registration.
Obtaining a GST registration number is mandatory for business owners in India. By following the step-by-step process mentioned above and submitting the required documents, you can obtain a GST registration number without any hassle. It is important to ensure that you comply with the GST regulations to avoid any penalties or legal issues.